- Open enrollment ends midnight, March 31.
- This is the last day you can purchase health insurance without a “qualifying life circumstance” such as marriage or birth.
- If you don't have health insurance after this date, you will have to pay the federal penalty for being uninsured. Click here for more information.
We collaborate with several community organizations to raise awareness in Richland County around what the ACA is and how it will affect our community. Events include monthly forums, hosting certified Navigators and Certified Application Counselors to provide in-person assistance, maintaining a webpage with up-to-date information, and organizing a Speaker’s Bureau of knowledgeable individuals who can present the Affordable Care Act to various organizations. For more information see our links below, or contact Mrs. Lee Patterson (803-231-6383).
Need assistance now? Ask a Librarian.
Affordable Care Act Navigators at the Library
Affordable Care Act navigators from the Health Insurance Education Cooperative will meet one-on-one with customers at various branches throughout the Richland Library system. The planned schedule is:
Richland Library, Main:
- M, W, F from 10AM to 2PM, and
- T, Th from 12:30 PM to 4PM
Affordable Care Act navigators can answer questions, and assist with enrollment.
Library staff cannot assist customers in completing the application or enrollment process, but can provide technology assistance in using the library’s public computers and printers. Librarians can also make referrals to local agencies with trained application assisters.
Please be aware of telephone scams. SCDCA has received reports of telephone scams related to the Affordable Care Act. For further information, visit www.consumer.sc.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-922-1594.
What you will need:
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Birth dates of family members
- Pay stubs, W-2 forms, or "Wage and Tax Statements"
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any health insurance the family could qualify for from an employer
With the generous support of the Knight Foundation Donor Advised Funds at Central Carolina Community Foundation, Richland Library will lead the efforts for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Initiative to raise awareness and education of Richland County residents regarding the impact and options of the ACA.
Knight Foundation supports transformational ideas that promote quality journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster the arts. The foundation believes that democracy thrives when people and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit KnightFoundation.org.